We were walking through Sam’s Club one evening and the kids spotted a sweet potato pie. They didn’t ask for that pie, they ask me to make them one. Always wanting to make my kids happy, I started looking for recipes. This one was on the ABC News website. I really like the use of a food processor or blender to process the filling so you get all the flavor without the fiber-y texture that I have found in some sweet potato pies. And the bourbon makes this pie fantastic.
3 large sweet pototoes
5 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
graham cracker pie crust
1. The day before… Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pierce skins with a fork. Bake at 350? for about an hour or until the potatoes start to get soft.
2. The next day… Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place in the blender.
3. Preheat oven to 425.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients except the pie crust.
Process until the mixture is very smooth and fluffy. You cannot over mix this and you really want it well mixed.
I use a Vitamix and it does a terrific job breaking down all those fibers in the sweet potatoes.
5. Place the prepared graham cracker pie crust on a baking sheet. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the filling jiggles just slightly at the center.
Cool to room temperature.